Juanpa Cadario: Mundial de Laser Radial, sin viento en el día 5

Mundial de Laser Radial, sin viento en el día 5


Foto copyright Marc Turner / RYA

Fuente info Y&Y

Laser Radial Worlds at Largs Sailing Club - Day 5
9-14 July 2010
By Lindsey Bell, RYA 13 Jul 2010 21:26

More than five hours of frustrating drifting on the Clyde off Largs today proved to be in vain for the sailors awaiting racing at the Laser Radial World Championships.

The mirror like waters were only occasionally ruffled by light airs from conflicting directions, and only – as the race officers’ version of Murphy’s Law would have it – as the appropriate signals were made, was there anything close to a breeze.

Sari Multala, Finland’s defending world champion goes into the final day of scheduled racing with a lead of seven points over Marit Bouwmeester (NED).

It will be an interesting finale. Forecasts conflict as to how much or how little breeze there will be and the opinions seem to be towards either extreme.

Even if there are three races for the Women’s gold fleet there can only be one discarded result and Bouwmeester has not finished outside the top ten so far, whilst Multala has a weighty 49th from Race 4 as her existing throwout.

In the Men’s fleet it is champion Marcin Rudawski (POL), also the defending 2009 who enters the last day at Largs with a six points lead and only a seventh place as his discard, whilst fellow Pole Wojciech Zemke lies second and the USA’s impressive 16 year old Mitchell Kiss lies third.

Quotes:

Sari Multala (FIN): “It was pretty strange. I found the decision to cancel when they did a little strange but of course it is always frustrating to sit around for the whole day. It is nice to be going into the last day with a seven points lead, but I still have to sail well because it looks we will only get one discard so every race is going to count. But almost everyone is in the same position. Marit who is behind me is in a good position as she has no bad races. It would be nice to get some more races for sure. But for me it will be about managing the risks and a top 5 result could be enough.”

Marit Bouwmeester (NED) “It is a shame because it is always better to get racing. I think it will be all down to tomorrow I think it is better for everyone to get more races in. I am pretty happy with the way it has gone and I don’t think I could have gone any better. I’m not too worried about what the weather does tomorrow but I do like to sail in strong winds.”

Tatiana Drozdovskava (BLR): “It is very strange weather out there, no wind at all, just a mirror for five hours. For me I am fairly happy with my position, but more races tomorrow would be good.”

Ali Young (GBR): “It was frustrating, but there was nothing that the race management could do. It was just when we started to get towed in that there was some wind.
It has gone alright for me. I have managed to stay fairly consistent, so hopefully we will get three races in tomorrow and that would finish it off nicely. I am happy with how things have gone so far. We have had some very tricky conditions and so I am pleased to have been able to keep consistent with my starts and build my races from there.
There are pretty conflicting forecasts but it would be just good to get some more races in. It will be shifty here no matter where the wind comes from, that is what we have seen all week. You know it will be shifty because there is so much land around.
We did not see any easterlies when we trained here and have now raced in that, but the training we did was valuable even just to get your head into what it is like.”

More information and full results on the event website